Ever since Augustine was born, I've been using our Cover Me Ponchos nursing cover more than any other baby product we own (really, though). I thought I'd share eight of the many reasons my Cover Me Ponchos nursing cover is the one baby product I never ever ever leave the house without (besides, you know, diapers and wipes):
1. Both of my kids are insane spitter-uppers. When Lily was little, she spit up so often that Alex's medical school friends were trying to diagnose her with things & always asking if something was wrong with her (although she was probably the first baby they had ever met so they weren't exactly experts yet). Whenever I nurse Augustine when we're out, I leave the poncho on while I'm burping him and it shields me from the spit up. Then I can just clean off the cover with a wet wipe (or wash it in the sink, depending on how bad things are) and let it air dry until I need it a few hours later.
2. I love that I don't have to worry about him kicking it off or squirming too much and giving everyone a show. The fabric is long enough and just heavy enough that the wind doesn't blow it everywhere, but it's lightweight enough that I don't feel like he's going to die under it.
3. I use it as a nice, lightweight blanket while we're driving, and a sun & wind shield when I'm carrying him in the carseat anywhere. It's also great for laying down on while we're out!
4. If I nurse him and then don't feel like taking off the cover right away, it looks like I'm just wearing some cool fashionable poncho -- not a weird blanket / apron thing with a strap around my neck like my old nursing cover.
5. They are made by a small company & designed by a fellow mama! I'm all about supporting other moms in their small businesses so coming across this one with such a great product made me so happy!
6. I don't have to worry about wearing "nursing friendly" shirts. Since I am pretty much all the way covered when nursing, it doesn't really matter what I'm wearing underneath. Figuring out what to wear postpartum is hard enough without adding in "will I be able to nurse in this?" to the equation.
7. They can be used as a mini swaddle! Whaaaat?! This is one of my favorite things about the cover.
8. Honestly insane functionality. Cover Me Ponchos can also double as a swing / shopping cart / high chair cover when you're out -- or a mini blanket at the park! We've also used mine as a sun shade when we went to an outdoor market and forgot to put a hat on Augustine -- we just carried him under it and didn't worry about the sun or him getting overheated since it is so lightweight.
Have you tried a Cover Me Ponchos multi-purpose nursing cover?
It makes the perfect baby shower or new mama gift - I always pair it with a ring sling of course ;)
What did you think about it? I'd love to hear in the comments!