Sisterhood and friendship have been on mind mind quite a lot lately; community is something we crave and need so deeply but often have trouble finding or connecting with, especially as mothers of little ones. Finding someone to walk with along our journey can be life-saving. And connecting with bloggers or podcasts that enrich and encourage our faith can help us grow, even from home.
I thought I'd share some of the place around the internet and in person that foster community and loving friendship. Many of these groups have become like home to me, and it has helped ease the isolation that motherhood can sometimes bring. If you’re trying to find your tribe, these might be a good place to start. Because we weren’t meant to do life alone.
FINDING YOUR TRIBE & Walking Together
CATHOLIC WOMEN & MOTHER Bloggers
- A Quiet Quest
- Blessed is She: Daily Devotionals. Regional Facebook Groups, Retreats & Brunches, and more
- Carrots for Michaelmas
- Catholic Mommy Blogs: Blog Directory and Catholic Mommy Facebook Group
- The Catholic Wife
- Coffee & Pearls: Podcasts by Sterling Jaquith, a Catholic convert and evangelist
- Contrite Catholic: former militant atheist turned contrite Catholic, Rosalie hosts a weekly podcasts and writes about her faith.
- Heart of Mary Women's Fellowship: Bibles Studies for Catholic Women, by Catholic Women
- Jennifer Fulwiler
- Look to Him and be Radiant: Some of the most thoughtful and creative resources for teaching Catholic children, put together by teacher and blogger Katie Bogner of Look to Him and be Radiant. Hundreds of free printables, DIY projects, and resources for bringing up Catholic children. Seriously, she is the best.
- Mothering Spirit
Catholic Mom & Blogger Facebook Groups
Youtube Channels & Podcasts
SPOUSES OF MEDICAL STUDENTS & PHYSICIANS
The Mrs. Behind the M.D., Tips and Encouragement on her Blog and Instagram Feed
Blessed is She Women’s Groups: Every third Monday of the month; St. Andrew’s Catholic Church // 3450 W Ray Rd, Chandler, AZ 85226; Time: 7-8:30pm
Saint Joan of Arc Parish Moms Group (a beautiful parish community if you’re in the area - 40th St. and Greenway)
- Terre Haute: Mothering as a Career Club
- Blessed is She - Indiana (Facebook Group)
- Blessed is She - Midwest Region (Facebook Group)
HOBBITS AT HEART
Breakfast Second: a visually stunning blog put together by two friends who are dedicated to bringing all things Tolkien into the twenty-first century.
Elanor at Home: (shameless self-promotion), a collection of essays I occasionally add to reflecting on Tolkien, Catholicism, and carrying the spirit of Hobbiton into our own wide world.
Blessed is She Beloved Retreat
March 18, 2017 in Phoenix, Arizona
Last year I had the joy of attending the first Blessed is She retreat in Phoenix and it was truly one of the best days of my life. As I was putting together this post on finding community, I was browsing the Blessed is She website and I stumbled across a page for another upcoming retreat... and then I realized that this one will also be in Phoenix! Oh, my heart is giddy with excitement and I'm praying and hoping and planning to be able to attend next March. If you are in the Phoenix area (or even if you're not), I highly recommend prayerfully considering attending this retreat -- there is so much beauty in the BIS sisterhood and it is so refreshing for our souls to be surrounded by Catholic women, eating, learning, worshiping together.
I'll update this post as I come across new communities, bloggers, podcasts, etc. If you have any you'd like to add to the list, please leave a comment below to let me know - even if it's a local group that you wouldn't mind being shared publicly, I know there are women out there who would truly appreciate it!