As I'm sure you all know (just kidding, I'm not going to assume you are as dorky as me), this week is considered Tolkien week in the nerd community, and this year we have an extra special Tolkien week coming up because...
September 21 marks the 75th anniversary of the publishing of Tolkien's "The Hobbit"
AND, of course, September 22 is the annual birthdays of our favorite Hobbits, Bilbo & Frodo Baggins!
This year, we are planning an extra special Hobbit Party because it's also (somewhat) serving as my going-away party from Dominica! This year is also especially exciting because I am pregnant and always feel like eating Hobbit food :)
Our Hobbit Party last year (that we threw in our apartment back in Phoenix) was all kinds of good fun.
- I wrote on our giant white board
- I turned our hallway into Fangorn Forest complete with Treebeard
- I put up bunting and streamers all about
- We watched the Lord of the Rings films (obviously)
- We made corn cob pipes and offered pipe tobacco for our smoker friends to enjoy on the patio
- Eating (yes, that counts as an activity)
- (we needed two because we watched all 3 movies in a row)
- Shepherd's Pie
- Vegetable Soup
Snacks & Dessert:
- Slices of bread with butter and cheese
- "Po-ta-to" chips
- Strawberries & whipped cream
- Marshmallow fondant mushrooms
- Blueberries and cream cupcakes
- "Lembas bread" (pita bread) and spinach dip
- Broccoli & ranch dip
- "Dead Marshes" chocolate pudding
- "Ent Draught" which was green kool-aid mixed with sprite
- "Ale from the Green Dragon" (I think it was really just Pabst)
And now, for this year...
I'm gathering all kinds of ideas and getting really excited about our party. It will be very different this year for a few reasons: it won't be held at our house & living in Dominica makes it hard to find too much Hobbit food. But I guarantee it will still be awesome.
I've started a board on Pinterest for inspiration. Feel free to check it out if you need help planning your own Hobbit party:
Happy Hobbit party planning!